Tuesday, December 27, 2011
New Years Resolutions & Contemplations
So, it occurred to me today as I was making up the new schedule for work for the month of January, 2011 is going to be over in 4 days! Looking back on the entire year I can't say I really have too many regrets. Some different things I've learned this year and the resolutions to go along with them (equestrian and otherwise):
1. There comes a time when you get tired of trying to make everyone happy and you need to make yourself happy. A time when you're done with the drama and find that the people who are important to you are the ones who you are important to.
There is definitely no reason to put up with drama. I guess maybe it's because I'm older than the girls I go to school with (I'm 27) but I have found several times this year that I am really over drama. I don't want to listen to it, I don't want to deal with it, and I certainly don't want to be around people who cause it. Between working 3 jobs and a full load of classes, my horse, and my family I do NOT have time for friends with drama issues. This year I vow to cut as much of that out of my life as I can... I don't want friends like that.
2. Don't bother reserving a space in your heart for people who do not make an effort to stay.
Again, I have joined a couple of different groups over the last year with people in them who claim to be my friends but when it comes down to it I don't feel like I can really count on them for anything. So one of my resolutions this year is to cut out the people in my life who aren't really friends at all and who cause more drama than they help
3. If you want to fly, you have to give up things that weigh you down and doing something wrong ten times is more productive than doing nothing at all. Every success has a path of failures behind it and every failure is one step closer on the path to success.
I'm sure by now this is starting to sound like some sappy life lessons sort of post but I would like this next year to be the year I really do something with Buck. I think he deserves it for me to take him on to shows and really make something out of him, whether I keep him and continue to progress or sell him to someone who can really make something out of him.
4. While you're busy looking for the perfect person, you will probably miss the imperfect person who can make you perfectly happy.... Relationships must be chosen wisely, it is better to be alone than in bad company.
I have found (I guess this goes along with 1 and 2) I do not have the time or the energy anymore to put up with drama and bad friends. Also, my husband is my best friend and we were just married in March of 2011 and I can't imagine my life without him. No resolution here except to keep a good thing going lol!
5. Someone will always be better looking, smarter, or charming, but they will never be you. Be proud of who you are, your knowledge, and your skills, it's what makes you an individual.
I have a hard time with this and I have learned this year more than years in the past to just be excepting of who I am. The people who really matter in my life do not have to be impressed all the time and those that I feel need to be impressed, are not worth having around. I am who I am and if people can't be happy with that then there is no reason for them to be in my life.
6. Making progress involves taking risk. Step up to that next level test, push yourself, push your horse. You will not know how far you and your partner can go until you make that one bold move.
2012 I am hoping will be the year Buck and I really accomplish something. I want to start riding more with Cheryl when she gets back from Florida. I want to start going to more events, and I want to really move him along and see what he's got. I think there's a lot of untapped potential in him and it would be a waste for me to leave him sitting around again for another year.
7. It is alright to fall apart for a little while. You don't always have to pretend to be strong. It is healthy to shed a tear and as soon as you do, the sooner you can smile again (R.I.P Dolly and Casino).
I try to be the tough one all the time but this year more than most has shown me it's alright to cry, it's even beneficial. With the death of Casino and then Dolly last month, I have learned that getting it out helps you grieve and recover faster than if you bottle your feelings up instead.
8. You can't take things too personally. Rarely do people do things because of you, they usually do things because of them.
I want to stop worrying about what people think so much. I want to stop ruminating over the mistakes I make at work or in my personal life and for goodness sakes stop taking things so personal. I am not too bad about it anymore, but I need to realize that just because my supervisor at works tells me I messed something up, it does not mean he's going to fire me the next time I mess up.... mistakes happen and it's ok.
9. You end up regretting the things you did not do much more than the things you did do (please see #6).
I don't know if I've learned this in the last year but definitely over my life time. I regret not joining the Air Force, I regret not going to one University and sticking to it from the beginning... blah blah blah. In 2012 I want to stop questioning everything all the time and be more spontaneous. I don't mean I want to make a bunch of stupid mistakes but I want to be able to look back at my life in another 30 or 40 years and not see a bunch of things I wish I had gotten to do when I was younger.
10. Regardless of how messy your past has been, your future is still clean. Don't start every day with the broken pieces of yesterday. Every day is a fresh start. Each day is a new beginning. Every morning you wake up is the first day of the rest of your life. Live like you're invincible, but love like there's no tomorrow.
I think this is just a general good rule to live by. You never know when your last day will be, but you can't live your life waiting for the other shoe to drop either. Get on with it! Live your life vicariously through yourself and make it exactly the way you want it to be because no one is holding you back but you. You want to ride at Rolex some day? Get yourself in gear and run for it! You are only waiting on yourself...